- Uber’s most popular ride option.
- Perfect for riders who don’t need luxury or extra cargo space for luggage.
- Seats 1-4 passengers (one in front, three in back)
- Seats 3 passengers currently due to Uber’s Door-to-Door Safety Standard. Be sure to review the Door-to-Door Safety Standard to see if an additional Rider is allowed to sit in the front passenger seat again.
- Average sized, good quality four-door economy cars are the norm.
Drivers looking for the best car to use with Uber X should consider the following:
Toyota Camry Hybrid:
Hybrids are great cars for rideshare drivers. Some get up to 50 mpg, and all drivers know that gas is a big expense. Some models start around $27,800, making this car a very affordable option. Rear seat legroom is a spacious 38 inches, which your passengers will appreciate.
This extremely popular compact car is an excellent choice for driving with Uber X. Some models start at an affordable $19,450. There’s a reason why you see hundreds of Civics on the road as you drive around. They get great gas mileage (36 highway/26 city) and are consistently ranked among the top compact cars in automotive critics regarding safety, interior, and performance.
Looking for one of the most fuel-efficient cars to drive with Uber X? Two words: Toyota Prius. You’ll experience 50 miles per gallon on the highway. Plus this super-popular hybrid comes with loads of passenger and cargo space, which also makes it perfect for Uber Eats driving. It’s an affordable hybrid as well, with a base price of around $24,000. The Prius is also well-made and reliable, meaning you’ll save thousands on costly repairs down the road.
What is Uber XL?
- Uber XL is a ride option for drivers that ly use plus-sized car models that seat up to 6 people.
- Perfect for airport rides due to the extra cargo space these vehicles provide.
- Uber XL is great for groups of people carpooling to and from a single destination like a sporting event, concert, or parts of town with lots of nightlife.
Drivers searching for the best car to use with Uber XL should consider the following:
Toyota Highlander SUV:
The Highlander crossover is considered to be a luxury-level SUV that fits 7 to 8 passengers comfortably. It has plenty of room for luggage and cargo and gets a decent 25 mpg on the highway. A certified pre-owned model should run you in the $25,000 range. This stylish plus-sized vehicle gets a 4.5 out of 5-star rating on Kelley Blue Book.
A sleek, stylish 7-passenger SUV crossover with 3 rows, plenty of horsepower, and more advanced electronics than you’d expect. You’ll like the 27 mpg highway fuel economy. Your passengers will love the quiet, smooth, and safe ride. A pre-owned model can be found for around $30k.
A pre-owned, high-quality minivan like the Honda Odyssey is another way to go for when driving with Uber XL. You should be able to find all of the quality features of a Honda for around $21,000. Highway gas mileage close to 30 mpg makes the Odyssey an affordable choice as well, especially if you’re going to be doing a lot of airport runs. High safety and feature ratings from Kelley Blue Book make pre-owned Honda Odysseys excellent choices for drivers who want more space.
- Uber Select is a more premium ride option than Uber X. Passengers are matched with highly-rated drivers with newer cars. Drivers on Uber Select also earn more per trip than Uber X trips.
- Since these vehicles are considered “premium,” looking at certified pre-owned models to use for rideshare driving will get you a high-end automobile at an affordable price.
- Typical vehicles are higher-end, such as Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes.
- Perfect for business people who want to impress clients with a premium ride or passengers used to a more comfortable car.
- Uber Select requires cars to be 2009 and newer, in very good condition showing no exterior damage, and with leather or faux leather seats.
- Drivers need to maintain high star ratings in order to drive with this ride option.
Drivers searching for the best car to use with Uber Select should consider:
Acura’s four-door sedans, like the TSX, as well as its RDX and MDX, are powerful, stylish cars. They consistently receive high ratings for safety, performance, and passenger comfort. This spacious, mid-priced luxury vehicle ($43,000 new/$30,000 pre-owned) has all the bells and whistles that luxury car owners expect and enjoy. The V6 engine delivers both power and impressive gas mileage in the high 20s on the highway. A hybrid model is also available.
BMW 5 Series:
These mid-size luxury sedans will give your passengers a truly luxurious riding experience. Trunk space is generous, engines are powerful and efficient, and the interior is highly rated for its quiet ride and comfort. A new model starts around $54,000 while a pre-owned BMW 528i can be priced in the mid-$30’s or lower. Gas mileage on the highway is an impressive 34 mpg.
With its 36 MPG highway fuel economy rating, the Volvo S60 is an excellent car choice for drivers on Uber Select. It’s classy, comfortable, and has plenty of power. The 2019 Volvo S60 ranks in the top half of this luxury car category thanks to its upscale, comfortable interior, powerful 250+ horsepower engine, and fuel efficient, quiet ride. Highway mpg is in the mid-to high 30s. A 2019 will start around $35,800 while a certified pre-owned, like a 2016, can be had for under $30k.
Uber Black and Uber SUV
- These are the luxury ride options available on Uber
- Drivers on Uber Black or Uber SUV must maintain a minimum star rating, be insured to drive commercially, and meet state- or local-level livery regulations
- You’ll need a newer model (2014 or newer), high-end luxury sedan or SUV with leather interior
- Basically, riders selecting Uber Black or SUV expect an elevated service from professional drivers. Drivers on Uber Black earn more per trip than Uber Select. Since only top luxury vehicles can be used for driving with Uber Black and SUV, looking at pre-owned vehicles would be a good idea if you want to rent or own.
- The vehicles must have pristine black interiors and exteriors.
Drivers looking for the best car to use with Uber Black or Uber SUV should consider:
Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan:
Sophistication on four wheels, the Mercedes-Benz E-Class midsize sedan should satisfy the luxury needs of any passenger. The E-Class sedan features high-end leather seats as well as state-of-the-art engineering and safety features, ensuring your passengers a smooth, quiet, and relaxing ride. They’ll want to just sit back and enjoy the upscale ambiance. As a driver, you’ll enjoy the turbocharged engine and 30 mpg highway.
BMW Active Hybrid 7:
You can drive with Uber Black and still be green with this ultra-luxurious European hybrid sedan. Prices range from $25,000 to around $60,000 and up. Passengers will love the limo-like experience of this car thanks to its 10 speaker sound system and four-zone climate control. This sophisticated, powerful hybrid gets between 22 city and 30 highway mpg.
When you drop off your passenger in a gleaming, massive, all black Cadillac Escalade SUV, all eyes will be on them when they exit your car. Escalades are considered to be top of the line rideshare vehicles, thanks to superb engineering and luxurious design. A pre-owned model will set you back close to $50k, but, the investment may be totally worth it if you choose to accept Uber Black trips to help offset the costs.
The convenient thing about the Uber Eats app is that delivery involves picking up and delivering food orders, not passengers. This means you don’t need a high tech, ultra-luxurious vehicle to do it. However, here are vehicle and driver requirements:
- You must meet the minimum age to drive in your city to drive and be at least 19 years old to deliver on Uber Eats.
- If delivering by car, you must have a 2 or 4-door vehicle and a model that is 15 years old or newer.
- Valid driver’s license.
- In the U.S., you may need at least one year of driving experience in your area. Please check your local requirements.
- Upon signing up, you will be required to complete a background check and a safety screening, and upload a few required documents.
- You don’t need to be a driver to deliver with Uber Eats, and current drivers already qualify to deliver with Uber Eats.
As far as cars go, you’ll want a reliable vehicle that has an easy to clean interior, because let’s face it, spills happen. A basic 2 or 4 door sedan will do nicely. If you’re a driver searching for the best cars to use to deliver with Uber Eats, consider the following:
As discussed, Hondas are highly-rated, affordable fuel efficient cars with plenty of room and safety features. They also serve as great cars to use on Uber X if you plan on taking more trips than just Uber Eats.
This midsize sedan, starting around $21,600, is a great rideshare car. It’s known as one of the best affordable and fuel-efficient cars, thanks to its 27 city/36 highway gas mileage. It’s pretty much perfect for making food deliveries around town.
With a surprisingly luxurious interior and stylish exterior, the Sonata is a great everyday vehicle that can be perfect for delivery people. Coming in at around $21,000 for a base model, this is an affordable, great looking car with lots of room for passengers as well as large takeout orders. Fuel economy is in the high 30s with hybrid versions experiencing over 40 mpg highway.
Do what’s best for your budget when it comes to buying or renting a car for rideshare driving. There’s no need to drive a Maserati or a Porsche SUV if you’re planning on only taking Uber Eats trips or giving rides with Uber X to folks who want a standard, clean, and comfortable passenger experience. Definitely look at pre-owned cars or rental solutions if you’re aiming to provide more luxurious services. You’ll want to research the top fuel efficient cars as well. No matter what kind of vehicle you choose to drive, or which Uber ride type you plan on using, HyreCar is here to help get you behind the wheel. Happy Driving!