This post contains affiliate links that HyreCar may receive a commission for referring you to them.
Do you want to make some extra money for the holidays? Or maybe for a full-time income? Then consider becoming a Lyft or Uber driver.
Earn on your own schedule. Click HERE to start driving with Lyft and earn a $1000.
The two big ridesharing companies in the USA both offer you the opportunity to do so by giving rides to people in your part of the country whenever you have some time to spare.
To see if you are likely to qualify to join either of these ridesharing companies, check out the requirements below.
All cars must also pass a 19-point inspection before it can be driven for Uber or Lyft. You can visit your local mechanic or auto shop to have this done.
However, Uber and Lyft drivers can also use services like Rideshare Mechanic to get their vehicles inspected remotely. This service conducts a video vehicle inspection, which eliminates the inconvenient process of going to a Jiffy Lube or local mechanic. No more getting stuck in traffic, wasting money on gas, or dealing with a mechanic who wants to upsell you on other parts.
Their cost is comparable to your local mechanic, and you don’t pay unless your car passes the inspection.
Click HERE to sign up with Rideshare Mechanic and get your vehicles inspected quickly and efficiently.
Uber Car Requirements
What kind of car do you need for Uber? How old can your car be to drive for Uber? To join Uber’s budget ridesharing scheme (UberX), you need a car that meets their requirements in full. There is no comprehensive Uber cars list, but if your vehicle meets the UberX driver car requirements listed below, you are probably good to go:
- Vehicle Age – What year car do you need for Uber? Year 2000 or newer. Uber year requirements vary from city to city. Year 2000 Uber car models are the oldest currently allowed, but the threshold could be 2001, 2005, 2007, or even 2011, depending on where exactly you live.
- In-State Plates – No out-of-state plates are allowed. You need to own a car that complies with state vehicle regulations. Any car that has in-state plates will obviously be suitable in this respect.
- Current Registration – To make absolutely sure that the plates on your car are legitimate, UberX car requirements state that your vehicle needs to be currently registered.
- Configuration – All UberX car models must be a four-door sedan and be able to seat four or more passengers comfortably.
All vehicles must pass the Uber driver car requirements test before they can be used.
Different Car Types for Uber’s 4 Tiers of Service
What are the different types of Uber? Uber has four basic levels of service: Economy, Premium, Accessibility, and Carpool. For Uber’s Economy services (which include UberX and UberXL), you’ll need a clean, recent-model, four-door car that meets the requirements above.
UberXL is a service that offers more room for additional luggage and people. If you have a van or SUV that is one of the approved UberXL car models, you could make more money. UberXL year requirements are the same as for the UberX service.
If you want to drive for Uber’s premium services, such as UberSELECT, UberBLACK, or UberLUX, you will need an approved luxury car. UberBLACK has an additional requirement that the car is painted black.
(If you have an extra car that meets these requirements and you’re not utilizing it much, you can make money renting it out to other Uber drivers. I highly recommend listing it on our site.)
Uber Driver Requirements
In order to qualify as a driver, you need to meet the Uber driving requirements. These are not particularly onerous, but they are designed to exclude inexperienced or dangerous drivers from the pool. The basic UberX driver requirements are as follows:
- Age – 21 or over
- Experience – Three years or more
- Driving Record – Clean
If you meet the above requirements, you will then need to pass a background check before you are approved.
The Lyft driver car requirements are more specific than those for Uber but generally speaking, if you own a four-door sedan in good condition, your vehicle is probably one of the approved Lyft car types. The following requirements are accurate as at the time of writing but may change in the future:
- Vehicle Age – 2003 or newer. As with UberX year requirements, there are some exceptions: In Seattle, Portland, Washington D.C., or Minneapolis-St. Paul, local government regulations mean that Lyft year requirements in these areas are stricter – no vehicles over 10 years old. In Pittsburgh, the limit is 8 years.
- Licensing – Current registration, with in-state plates.
- Tires – The tires on your vehicle need to have sufficient tread. Lyft requires you to perform the penny test on each one and send photographic evidence before they will approve your car.
If you do in fact need to buy new wheels or tires, check out our friends at Tire Rack, who offer affordable options and also provide $100 Prepaid Visa and Mastercard’s upon purchases.
Click HERE to start saving on all of your wheels and tires needs.
- Windows – You need to have functional windows on all doors and a windshield with no big cracks anywhere, and absolutely no cracks at all that may obscure the driver’s vision.
- Windshield Wipers – Front and rear wipers need to be in good working order.
- Seat Belts – All approved Lyft car models have at least four-passenger seat belts (in addition to the driver’s seat belt), and all of them must be functioning properly in order for your car to pass muster.
- Front Seat Adjustment – The front seats in your vehicle need to move forward and backward as designed.
- Car Doors – Your vehicle must have four doors, all of which should open and close without issue – from both the outside and the inside. Your passengers must be able to lock and unlock their doors without assistance.
- Climate Control – Your vehicle’s heating and air-conditioning systems need to be functioning properly.
Makes and models Lyft has previously approved include the Toyota Tacoma, GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Sonic, and Ford Expedition. Any car with less than four doors or that is not roadworthy will be disqualified.
There is no official list of Lyft-approved models, just as there is no UberX cars list, so you will have to judge for yourself – using the criteria above – whether your vehicle is likely to be approved.
It is not a vehicle requirement, but you will want to make sure you have a phone charger in your vehicle as well. No phone battery means no Uber/Lyft rides, which means no cash in your pocket.
amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit0”;
amzn_assoc_tracking_id = “hyrecar-20”;
amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “search”;
amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”;
amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”;
amzn_assoc_region = “US”;
amzn_assoc_title = “Shop Related Products”;
amzn_assoc_default_search_phrase = “car phone charger”;
amzn_assoc_default_category = “All”;
amzn_assoc_linkid = “920b3a9f883e2b4a7c817b7a13c6410b”;
amzn_assoc_search_bar = “true”;
amzn_assoc_search_bar_position = “top”;
It’s also a good idea to keep some type of entertainment in your car for passengers. Play Octopus provides rideshare drivers with FREE tablets that come with games for their passengers, along with a free data plan and auto-updates. Over 10,000 drivers have reported earning higher tips, better ratings, and better conversations with their passengers by simply using one of these tablets!
Drivers earn up to $100/month for driving activity and passenger gameplay. Once you receive your tablet, you’ll gain exclusive access to the Octopus driver community to meet other drivers and share information. Plus, they do regular giveaways, prizes and bonus points from the Play Octopus team! You will also receive a free $15 sign up bonus for activating your account through this link.
Click here to order your FREE Octopus gaming tablet for your car.
Different Car Types for Lyft’s 5 Tiers of Service
Like Uber, Lyft offers levels of service to provide economy options for the budget-minded and luxury options for people wanting a nicer ride. Lyft’s five tiers of service are Line (carpool), Lyft (standard service), Plus (more room via SUVs and vans), Lux (luxury) and Lux SUV (luxury SUV).
As with Uber, if you have a luxury car such as a BMW or Lexus that meets the requirements, you can potentially drive for Lyft’s premium services and earn more money.
Lyft Driver Requirements
If you are fairly certain that your car will be approved, it’s time to take a look at your own credentials. The following is a summary of the Lyft driver requirements:
- Age – 21 or over.
- Experience – Must have held a current driving license for at least one year.
- Driving Record – You must have a clean record.
- Insurance – You need a valid insurance policy.
- Phone – You need to own a recent model smartphone.
Download the Tally app and securely have all of your cards in one place, where their team will begin to analyze your accounts to help you minimize interest costs and help you save money and quickly pay down any debt you have.
Earn Money by Driving for Uber or Lyft
If you qualify for either or both of these ridesharing schemes, you could make a substantial amount of money driving your car on a part- or full-time basis. If you have your own car, you can get started immediately making money with Uber and Lyft. If you don’t have a suitable car, you can easily rent a car through our website and start earning cash quickly! Earn on your own schedule. Start driving with Lyft and earn a $1000.
Not interested in driving for Uber or Lyft? Try DoorDash!