This post contains affiliate links that HyreCar may receive a commission for referring you to them.
It’s a new year, and you’re thinking of new ways to earn some extra income. HyreCar recommends becoming a rideshare driver and using Uber or Lyft. You’ll get to be your own boss, set your own hours, and provide an important on-demand service for passengers in need of transportation. This article goes over the best cars to use with Uber and Lyft, and for ridesharing in general!
If you don’t already own a car, you could purchase or rent one that not only meets basic vehicle requirements for Uber and Lyft, but is also one of the top best fuel efficient cars, affordably priced according to your budget, can seat at least four passengers comfortably, and gets high ratings for reliability and quality. You can choose a car that qualifies for different ride options on Uber and Lyft platforms to open up more rideshare opportunities, or go for an entry level sedan that works only for basic ride options. So here’s a list of the top 8 cars that are great to drive. Keep in mind, these cars are also great options to use for other on-demand delivery platforms like DoorDash, Instacart and Shipt as well.
UberX and Lyft
A good-quality, entry-level sedan in the $20,000 range is all you need for the most basic, popular ride options on Uber and Lyft’s platforms. Hybrids are always a good bet due to better gas mileage, but non-hybrids do the job just as well. These cars are great for deliveries with Uber Eats as well. Here are some of our top suggestions:
1. Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
- If you ask automobile experts “What’s the best economy car for the money?,” they’ll probably answer with this vehicle. Here’s why:
Under $21,000 for a new entry-level model.
- High fuel economy at 36/40 mpg.
- Roomy, comfortable ride front and back.
- Upscale interior and exterior design.
- 5 star NHTSA safety ratings.
2. Ford Fusion Hybrid
- Cool, sleek styling
- Around $23,000 new depending on the model.
- Excellent fuel economy at 44/41 mpg.
- Passengers will love the extra backseat legroom and quiet ride.
- Upscale interior for an entry-level sedan.
- 5 star NHTSA safety ratings.
3. Toyota Prius Hybrid
The Prius is considered to be one of the best cars for ridesharing based on factors like best car mileage. It is truly the most popular rideshare vehicle on the road. This makes sense due to its affordability, passenger comfort, and impressive money-saving gas mileage. Toyota’s recent updates include available all-wheel drive, making for safer driving in snowy or icy conditions.
- A great value for your money at under $25,000 for a new entry-level model. Even fully loaded new models can be purchased for around $32,000.
- The Prius is one of the most fuel-efficient cars.
- Gas mileage can reach 50 miles per gallon. That’s a lot of airport runs without stopping to fuel up.
- Loaded with plenty of Toyota’s highly rated safety features.
- Quiet ride with tons of passenger and cargo space.
- Quality construction means fewer repairs are needed down the road.
4. Honda Accord
The Honda Accord is highly recommended for rideshare drivers as one of the best cars by US News and World Report.
- Great affordability with sporty new base models around $24,000.
- 5 star NHTSA ratings for safety, reliability, and passenger/driver comfort.
- Many high-tech safety features are standard like automatic braking systems and blind-spot warning tech.
- Fuel-friendly with 30/38 mpg, which is great if you make a lot of airport runs.
- Above average backseat legroom and hip room, which your passengers will love
- Spacious trunk area for luggage etc.
UberXL and Lyft Plus
UberXL is a ride option for passengers that need more room. SUVs and minivans that seat at least six people are required for UberXL (and Lyft Plus) trips. These types of vehicles are perfect for large families needing a ride to or from the airport or groups of friends carpooling to one destination. FYI, drivers using UberXL earn more per trip than on UberX trips. What cars qualify for UberXL? Check out these suggestions:
5. Honda Odyssey
This popular minivan one of the best cars for driving with UberXL according to Ridester.com, an informational website aimed at rideshare drivers.
- Around $26,000 for a basic level new model, or $20,000 and under for a pre-owned, make the well-reviewed Odyssey an affordable choice for drivers.
- Smooth quiet ride and plenty of room for passengers and cargo.
- Has all the safety features, reliability, and qualities that make Hondas one of the highest valued cars on the road.
- Excellent V6 engine gas mileage, with nearly 30 mpg on the highway. That’s important if you’re making several back and forth airport runs a day.
- Has a folding third row allowing you to comfortably fit more than six passengers.
- Generally receives high ratings from rideshare passengers, which reflects well on you as their driver.
6. Toyota Sienna
This roomy minivan boasts 150 square feet of combined cargo and passenger space.
- Seats 7 passengers comfortably and has plenty of storage area for their baggage.
- 18/25 mpg. Not bad if you’re making a lot of airport runs.
- The Sienna is the only minivan with all-wheel drive, which results in a smooth, solid ride.
- New, modern look that will impress your passengers.
- Standard high-tech safety features like radar cruise control and lane departure alerts.
- Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa compatibility are standard.
- If $31,115 for a new basic model seems pricey, check out pre-owned Siennas which run in the $24k and under range.
7. Kia Sorento
The affordable Kia Sorento midsize SUV (approximately $26,000 new for the entry-level model) made US News and World Report’s list of best cars to use with UberXL.
- Luxurious, comfortable interior featuring premium materials.
- Nearly 40 inches of rear seat legroom and over 55 inches of hip room. One of the widest back seats of midsize SUVs.
- Third-row seat (allowing for 7 passengers) makes it perfect for UberXL.
- 29 mpg highway, which is good for back and forth airport runs.
- Top of the line infotainment system.
- 5-star safety NHTSA rating with many high-tech features standard.
8. Ford Explorer
Despite being more expensive than most midsize SUVs ($32,000 new), US News and World Report does recommend the Ford Explorer for rides with Uber and Lyft. Here’s why:
- It seats seven passengers comfortably with tons of leg and hip room.
- The Explorer’s spacious third-row seats are larger than most midsize SUV third row seats, which can sometimes be a tight fit for adults.
- The second-row seats slide forward, making access to the back row easy for passengers.
- Larger groups mean higher fares for you, and the extra comfort could pay off in higher driver ratings for you as well.
- 22/27 mpg is pretty good for city and highway driving.
- Plenty of cargo room when the third-row seats are folded down.
- 5 star NHTSA safety rating.
We hope our list of cars to drive with Uber and Lyft has given you some insight into the kinds of vehicles you can use for the different ride options available on rideshare apps. Remember, HyreCar can make it super easy and affordable to rent one of these cars, or similar vehicles if you don’t already own one. Here are a few reasons why HyreCar is the best option for renting a car for rideshare driving.
- Tons of quality cars are available to rent in all 50 states.
- No long term contracts.
- Rideshare insurance is included.
- You can choose a car to rent and get behind the wheel within 24 hours.
- Owners set their own prices for their cars, which keeps rental fees affordable to drivers like you.
Interested in Sonata hybrid
I like something like the Honda Accord , I currently have a car threw lyft but it needs alil work to it. I need another car
Hello Howard, we would love to help you get on the road! Please visit https://app.www.hyrecar.com/offers to create an account and then you will be able to begin searching for a vehicle in your specific area. If you have any questions or need any assistance after creating an account, please email email@example.com or give us a call at (213) 269-5330.
I’m interested in renting a car
Hello Tyler, we would love to help you get on the road! Please visit https://app.www.hyrecar.com/offers to create an account and then you will be able to begin searching for a vehicle in your specific area. If you have any questions or need any assistance after creating an account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at (213) 269-5330.
I’m interested in a new car to drive for uber I’m in Charlotte nc
Hello Penny, we would love to help you get on the road! Please visit https://app.www.hyrecar.com/offers to create an account and then you will be able to begin searching for a vehicle in your specific area. If you have any questions or need any assistance after creating an account, please email email@example.com or give us a call at (213) 269-5330.
Sending my stuff in today
Hey Patricia, that sounds really great! Thank you for your interest in us, can’t wait for you to start driving!
Personally I drive a 2019 Honda Insight. With a real mpg average of 53 combined and twice an average 55 combined it is the clear winner in fuel economy. Great ride, great looks, complete tech package, honda reliability and under 25K price for an EX, I suggest you check it out. Plus, my riders love it. Most ask all sorts of questions about it. Even my ratings have gone up from 4.85-.88 to 4.98-.99.
People love it! And it is very comfortable indeed.
I’m interested in the Honda Accord.
Hello Gloria, are you interested in renting a Honda Accord for ridesharing?
I am interested on driving for Uber please guide me thru, I just to deliver food for UBER, it was fun but now I would like to drive for people
Hello Carlos, glad that it’s been working out well for you. You can go to this link https://help.uber.com/riders/article/sign-up-to-drive-with-uber—?nodeId=ee5fbdf5-bdc3-4c63-8bad-ccbe0a9c3bb5 for more information on signing up for Uber rideshare. Have you gotten the chance to make sure that your car is eligible to use for Uber?
I am interested in a rental car
Hi Beverly, we would love to help you get on the road! Please visit https://app.www.hyrecar.com/offers to create an account and then you will be able to begin searching for a vehicle in your specific area. If you have any questions or need any assistance after creating an account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at (213) 269-5330.
Interested in a rental. I already own a 2018 Accord Sport but tired of using it for Uber. What do I need? Credit card?
Hello Jaime, we would love to help you get on the road! Please visit https://app.www.hyrecar.com/offers to create an account and then you will be able to begin searching for a vehicle in your specific area. If you have any questions or need any assistance after creating an account, please email email@example.com or give us a call at (213) 269-5330. Have you started to create an account yet?
hello I’m trying to fill out the requirements for the background check and it tells me that I’ve taken a long time I’m ready to go thanks.
I drive a 2015 Prius V which I selected to replace the Nissan Altima I had been driving. I have been very happy with the Prius so far but I have suspected that many of the cancellations I get arise out of a stigma about the Prius being small, cramped and slow. Even though my V is larger than a typical Prius, riders don’t know the difference between a Prius and a Prius V.
For Uber and lyft drivers, they have to know about knowledge about best car for riding. And i suggest Used cars are very necessary for started this job. This car collection will be very informative for all uber and lyft drivers. Thanks for sharing!
Im in Belcamp MD and was told to rent a car through Lyft its cheaper then Lyft. Im not finding any rentals closer then Washington D.C. and thats about 70 miles south of me. Thanks in advance….
Lyft is much better from Uber I have bad experience from Uber in Canada I work as driver with Lyft don’t buy car for Uber
The only real choice is PRIUS. with 50-55 MPG and how nice it is to drive, why would you buy any other car. Plus it is affordable, unlike TESLA.