This post contains affiliate links that HyreCar may receive a commission for referring you to them.
It’s a new year, and you’re thinking of new ways to earn some extra income. HyreCar recommends becoming a rideshare driver and driving for Uber or Lyft. You’ll get to be your own boss, set your own hours, and provide an important on-demand service for passengers in need of transportation. This articles goes over the best cars for UberX, Lyft, and Ridesharing in general!
If you don’t already own a car, you should purchase or rent one that not only meets basic Lyft and Uber vehicle requirements, but is also one of the top best fuel efficient cars, affordably priced according to your budget, can seat at least four passengers comfortably, and gets high ratings for reliability and quality. You can choose a car that qualifies for different levels of Uber and Lyft to open up more rideshare opportunities, or go for an entry level sedan that works only for basic UberX or Lyft. So here’s a list of the top 11 cars for that are great to drive for Uber and Lyft in 2019. Keep in mind, these cars are also great options to use for other on-demand delivery services like Postmates, DoorDash , Instacart and Shipt as well.
UberX and Lyft
These are Uber and Lyft’s basic, most popular rideshare services. A good-quality, entry-level sedan in the $20,000 range is all you need for this level. Hybrids are always a good bet due to better gas mileage, but non-hybrids do the job just as well. These cars are great for UberEats food deliveries as well. Some top suggestions:
1. Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
- If you ask automobile experts “What’s the best economy car for the money?,” they’ll probably answer with this vehicle. Here’s why:
Under $21,000 for a new entry-level model.
- High fuel economy at 36/40 mpg.
- Roomy, comfortable ride front and back.
- Upscale interior and exterior design.
- 5 star NHTSA safety ratings.
2. Ford Fusion Hybrid
- Cool, sleek styling
- Around $23,000 new depending on the model.
- Excellent fuel economy at 44/41 mpg.
- Passengers will love the extra backseat legroom and quiet ride.
- Upscale interior for an entry-level sedan.
- 5 star NHTSA safety ratings.
3. Toyota Prius Hybrid
The Prius is considered to be one of the best cars for ridesharing based on factors like best car mileage. It is truly the most popular rideshare vehicle on the road. This makes sense due to its affordability, passenger comfort, and impressive money-saving gas mileage. Toyota’s 2019 updates include available all-wheel drive, making for safer driving in snowy or icy conditions.
- A great value for your money at under $25,000 for a new entry-level model. Even fully loaded new models can be purchased for around $32,000.
- The Prius is one of the most fuel-efficient cars for UberX, Lyft, or UberEats.
- Gas mileage can reach 50 miles per gallon. That’s a lot of airport runs without stopping to fuel up.
- Loaded with plenty of Toyota’s highly rated safety features.
- Quiet ride with tons of passenger and cargo space.
- Quality construction means fewer repairs are needed down the road.
4. Honda Accord
The 2019 Honda Accord is highly recommended for Uber and Lyft drivers as one of the best cars for UberX by US News and World Report.
- Great affordability with sporty new base models around $24,000.
- 5 star NHTSA ratings for safety, reliability, and passenger/driver comfort.
- Many high-tech safety features are standard like automatic braking systems and blind-spot warning tech.
- Fuel-friendly with 30/38 mpg, which is great if you make a lot of airport runs.
- Above average backseat legroom and hip room, which your passengers will love
- Spacious trunk area for luggage etc.
UberXL and Lyft Plus
UberXL is the next Uber level up from basic UberX. SUVs and minivans that seat at least six people are required for the UberXL (and Lyft Plus) service. These types of vehicles are perfect for large families needing a ride to or from the airport or groups of friends carpooling to one destination. FYI, UberXL drivers receive a higher fee than UberX drivers. What cars qualify for UberXL? Check these suggestions out:
5. Honda Odyssey
This popular minivan is 2019’s best car for UberXL according to Ridester.com, an informational website aimed at rideshare drivers.
- Around $26,000 for a basic level new model, or $20,000 and under for a pre-owned, make the well-reviewed Odyssey an affordable choice for Uber XL drivers.
- Smooth quiet ride and plenty of room for passengers and cargo.
- Has all the safety features, reliability, and qualities that make Hondas one of the highest valued cars on the road.
- Excellent V6 engine gas mileage, with nearly 30 mpg on the highway. That’s important if you’re making several back and forth airport runs a day.
- Has a folding third row allowing you to comfortably fit more than six passengers.
- Generally receives high ratings from rideshare passengers, which reflects well on you as their driver.
6. Toyota Sienna
This roomy minivan boasts 150 square feet of combined cargo and passenger space.
- Seats 7 passengers comfortably and has plenty of storage area for their baggage.
- 18/25 mpg. Not bad if you’re making a lot of airport runs.
- The Sienna is the only minivan with all-wheel drive, which results in a smooth, solid ride.
- New, modern look for 2019 that will impress your passengers.
- Standard high-tech safety features like radar cruise control and lane departure alerts.
- Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa compatibility are standard.
- If $31,115 for a new basic model seems pricey, check out pre-owned Siennas which run in the $24k and under range.
7. Kia Sorento
The affordable Kia Sorento midsize SUV (approximately $26,000 new for the entry-level model) made US News and World Report’s 2019 list of best cars for Uber drivers.
- Luxurious, comfortable interior featuring premium materials.
- Nearly 40 inches of rear seat legroom and over 55 inches of hip room. One of the widest back seats of midsize SUVs.
- Third-row seat (allowing for 7 passengers) makes it perfect for UberXL.
- 29 mpg highway, which is good for back and forth airport runs.
- Top of the line infotainment system.
- 5-star safety NHTSA rating with many high-tech features standard.
8. Ford Explorer
Despite being more expensive than most midsize SUVs ($32,000 new), US News and World Report does recommend the Ford Explorer for Uber and Lyft drivers. Here’s why:
- It seats seven passengers comfortably with tons of leg and hip room.
- The Explorer’s spacious third-row seats are larger than most midsize SUV third row seats, which can sometimes be a tight fit for adults.
- The second-row seats slide forward, making access to the back row easy for passengers.
- Larger groups mean higher fares for you, and the extra comfort could pay off in higher driver ratings for you as well.
- 22/27 mpg is pretty good for city and highway driving.
- Plenty of cargo room when the third-row seats are folded down.
- 5 star NHTSA safety rating.
UberSELECT and Lyft Premier
UberSELECT is one of Uber’s luxury vehicle rideshare services. Lyft’s version of this category is called Lyft Premier. Passengers pay more for this service than lower tiers of Uber. Consequently, drivers are paid a higher fee when driving for UberSELECT than when they drive for lower tiers of Uber, because SELECT drivers must consistently maintain a 4.70 driver rating or higher to qualify. Drivers “dress to impress” and drive higher end cars to reflect the luxury status of UberSELECT. Cars must meet the following UberSELECT requirements:
- High-end or luxury brand vehicle
- Four door sedan or larger that comfortably seat four passengers
- Leather interior and upholstery
- Car must be spotless inside and out, with no exterior damage
- 2008 or newer
So which cars qualify for UberSELECT? Here is a short list of some of the best Uber cars:
9. Cadillac CTS
What can we say? It’s a Cadillac. The name alone implies luxury, quality, and high status. This is a midsize luxury sedan that will really “wow” your passengers when you pull up to the curb.
- Base model runs around $48,000.
- Turbocharged four-cylinder engine delivers impressive speed and power.
- Top quality leather upholstery with comfortable seating for five, surround-sound infotainment system, and Wi-Fi.
- Standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
- Good gas mileage with 22 city, 30 highway.
- Loaded with high tech safety features such as lane change alert and following distance indicator
- 5 star NHTSA safety rating
10. Lexus ES-300h
This ultra-classy, super comfortable luxury hybrid sedan is one of the best cars for both UberSELECT and UberBLACK, the highest level of Uber’s luxury services. Here’s why:
- Entry level models start in the low $40,000s, making this luxury sedan affordable for rideshare drivers interested in driving for the upper levels of Uber and Lyft.
- Great gas mileage at 40/39 mpg, making it an economical choice if you’re doing a lot of airport runs.
- Extremely quiet ride, due to upgraded sound-deadening materials and sound-reducing windows
- Roomy, plush interior boasting high-end leather seating and wood trim
- High tech safety features standard like emergency automatic braking, 360 degree viewing monitor, and blind spot monitor.
11. Acura MDX
This mid-priced luxury SUV is spacious, powerful, well-appointed, and has all the technology bells and whistles that high-end car owners expect from a luxury ride.
- Attractively priced starting around $43,000.
- Spacious upscale interior with loads of passenger and cargo space.
- V6 engine that delivers decent highway mpg in the high 20’s. That’s helpful if you’re doing a lot of back and forth airport pickups.
- Three rows of comfortable seating to transport families or large groups in style.
- 5 star NHTSA safety rating
We hope our list of 11 best cars to drive for Uber and Lyft in 2019 has given you some insight into the kinds of vehicles you can use for the different levels of rideshare driving. Remember, HyreCar can make it super easy and affordable to rent one of these cars, or similar vehicles if you don’t already own one. Here are a few reasons why HyreCar is the best option for renting a car for rideshare driving.
- Tons of quality cars are available to rent in all 50 states.
- No long term contracts.
- Rideshare insurance is included.
- You can choose a car to rent and get behind the wheel within 24 hours.
- Owners set their own prices for their cars, which keeps rental fees affordable to drivers like you.